Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Looking for a good book?


While visiting Duchesne, I raided their public library.

Jeannie, Dalaney's mom, is the librarian, so she signed me up for a shiny, new library card declaring my new surname, Hannah Mecham.

I reviewed the NY Times Best-sellers where Katherine Stockett's The Help achieved the #1 spot.

Stockett, a Mississippi native, creates unique characters to portray the social and political environment of Jackson, Mississippi during the early 1960s. Intertwining the perspectives of African-American maids and the privileged white women that they work for, I couldn't put the book down, and I finished it in just three days.

My mom emailed me the other day encouraging me to read The Help, and I chuckled out loud because I was going to recommend it to her.

Turns out, they are now producing a movie based on the book. I can't wait :)

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Although it made me frightened of the south (no offense). Did you know I have a book review blog? http://thebluebookcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the book! I think you and I will have our own Book Club this summer......remember book bucks?? Maybe we'll do it again in summer 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with this book. Shes a fab writer.

    ReplyDelete